Physical Education Curriculum Statement
Physical Education Intent
At Brockmoor Primary School, we are ATHLETES! We want our children to love physical education and sport. We want them to have no limits to what their ambitions are and grow up wanting to be personal trainers, nutritionists, sports journalist or gold medal winners.
At Brockmoor, we aim to ensure that every child has the opportunity to access at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, while covering all aspects of the PE national curriculum. We believe, through experiences and a broad, balanced and progressive curriculum tailored to all children, they will continue to have the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge and understanding to value and take responsibility for their engagement in physical activity, sport and PE. Our intention is to develop a lifelong love of physical activity, sport and PE for every child at Brockmoor. We help all children to make rapid progress in their physical, social and mental development . This helps them maintain a positive physical and mental outlook for the future.
Physical Education Implementation
Children at Brockmoor undertake weekly PE sessions, taught class teachers.
- Our use of PE coaches, also ensure that our children receive quality first provision in all year groups during lunchtimes also.
- Our PE coaches also work regularly within EYFS to support the children’s physical development, focusing on improving core strength and fine and gross motor skills.
- All children have the access to a inclusive curriculum. Support is provided for SEND children in line with other subjects and differentiating using the STEP method, meaning every child accesses consistent opportunities and input across the school.
- All lessons are planned using the Rising Stars PE Scheme. The lessons focus on improvement in performance, competition and social and mental development.
- A progression of skills is used with each year group, which enables pupils to build on and PE Curriculum Statement develop their skills each year for each area, with regular assessments in each lesson . The children’s progress in PE is accessible by all teachers meaning they can view the Foundation Assessment Tracker which is continued year to year. This means all teachers have an active role in promoting the profile of physical activity, sport and PE.
- Our lunchtimes at Brockmoor are an important time for children to engage in physical activity and for all children to access to opportunity to engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day. There is a weekly sport rota which is followed by all lunch time supervisors and supported by our PE coaches. This allows our children to have a broad and well-rounded opportunity to engage in physical activity.
- All children at Brockmoor, have access to a variety of extracurricular activities such as after school clubs every day and tournaments.
- Children have the opportunity to participate in a wide range of competitions ranging from running to gymnastics. Our participation and success in sporting events raise the profile of PE further and creates even more enjoyment of physical activity. This links in with our intent of allowing all our children to be physically active for life and understand the benefits of this.
- Children in Year 6 participate in a swimming curriculum for 10 weeks a year. This is essential in teaching them this important life skill as well as life saving techniques. Children in Year’s 4 and 6 are invited to attend a residential trip where they will undertake various outdoor activities such as climbing, canoeing, gorge walking, and bouldering. Our aim is to further develop our offer of outdoor, adventurous activities to children in other year groups
The Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum and carefully planned provision are designed to support children’s physical development. We offer daily playful opportunities for children to engage in physical activity both in and outdoors. Our children have access to free flow play for sustained periods of time and are encouraged to use our large outdoor environment including our forest school, mud kitchen, play equipment and large sandpit. We access this environment all year round and in all weather conditions to support the development of gross and fine motor control, balance, coordination, confidence and problem solving skills. We explore meditation, yoga, massage and relaxation techniques and share a range of healthy snacks to develop our understanding of the importance of a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
Physical Education Impact
The impact of this curriculum design will lead to outstanding progress in their performance, competition and social and mental development. Children will therefore be expected to leave Brockmoor a well rounded individual physically, socially and mentally and will have reached at least their expected level in PE. We hope the children will understand the importance of physical activity, sport and PE and motivate children to become confident, resilient and disciplined, so that they become independent and take responsibility for their health and fitness throughout their life.